quarta-feira, 11 de novembro de 2015

Tom, Timby, And Tom Brandy.

Tom, Timby, And Tom Brandy.

Tom, Timby, And Tom Brandy.




“The best-laid schemes o’ mice and men
                Gang aft agley,
An’ leave us nought but grief and pain
                For promised joy.”

Burns.

And if the schemes of mice and men often “gang agley,” it is not to be wondered at that the sagacity of the domestic cat is sometimes at fault. A very large and beautiful cat, belonging to a lady in Dumbarton, was very much attached to its home more so, perhaps, in this case, than to its mistress, for one day, much to pussy’s disgust, disreputable-looking men in aprons so pussy thought them came to the house and began to remove the furniture. Pussy sat on the hearthrug, washing her face with a spittle and musing. “I’ve been so happy here,” she was thinking; “I know every mouse’s hole in the house, and the places in the garden where I can hide to catch the sparrows, and the gaps in the hedge through which I can bolt when that Skye-terrier chases me, and the whitethorn bush beneath whose scented boughs I meet dear Tom in the moonlight. Oh! the thoughts of leaving Tom no, I cannot, will not, leave the old house. Missus can hang herself if she likes. Happy thought, I’ll hide hide in the linen drawer, till this cruel war is over, and then come forth, mistress of all I survey.” And so she did; but, unfortunately for her calculations, the chest of drawers was moved as well; and when at last she did “come forth,” much to her bewilderment she was in a house which she had never seen before in her life.


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário